This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 8 months ago by abernathysj.

• Author
     abernathysj
    • Experience: 5-10 years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

hey friends, I have just been informed that an upcoming show has a voile curtain that will be painted. I don’t yet know what the image is, but I thought I would get a head start on voile research. it’s similar to tulle. has anyone painted on this before? my APM said it was 100% polyester, but I don’t see that in the Rose Brand catalog. thanks!

There is no: masking it, stapling it, expecting it to remain soft & flexible.

abernathysj

[emoji28] good to know. we got a sample piece today and it seems like it will be just awful to paint on. hopefully the design will change – this is still just a maybe as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voile is awful to paint on. Depending on the technique you might try flex glue, thinned (to help with flexibility, as a binder, and help with translucency), with pigment or varying degrees of paint depending on translucency needed.

It can snag and run fairly easily…

Fingers crossed

abernathysj

Good news! IF I am painting on this material, it will be with opaque paint to fill in holes and make some kind of framework pattern, rather than an image intended to remain translucent. Stapling it down will still be an issue but it doesn’t sound like a difficult paint job at least.

We’ve used rosebrand voile a lot lately (not to paint on, thank god, but to project on). It seems to staple for us just fine. We’ve been using it wrap steel frames. We’ve added a tack strips to the back of the steel and it’s stapled in just fine- nice and smooth, tight, clean. I’ll see if I can send some pictures.

abernathysj

that would be great, thanks! turns out the lighting designer doesn’t like voile so we may switch to something else, but just in case [emoji16]

If anyone does need to paint any in the future and for it to still remain flexible, Dharma Pigment Dye works really well. If you layer it, it can be fairly opaque (but not perfectly) or if you water it down it can be translucent. It basically acts like paint, so it’s easy to manipulate, and the most “heat setting” we had to do was stick in the dryer on hot. We never bothered stapling it down, but our piece was more organic than structured.

My biggest negative is the color palette – but that might have been because I couldn’t afford to buy a wide range of colors to get what I needed.

This is a process shot of what the dye looks like. [attachment=1]IMG_2687.jpg[/attachment]

And how it looked under stage lights.
    [attachment=0]IMG_2726.jpg[/attachment]

abernathysj

oh awesome! thanks Maggie!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account