This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Former Member Content Archive.

• Author

What is your favorite method for creating stained glass? Is it durable for outdoor theater? I have used flex glue and tint or dye, but not sure about the durability.

Angelique Powers
    • Experience: 20+ years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

For out door theatre I would probably use an exterior graded sealer instead of the glue. Crystal gel or sculpt or coat could also work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I’ll give it a try.

Anonymous

I really, really advocate for mixing leather dye with either clear or amber shellac. As far as I’ve found, it has the boldest colors, and is pretty resistant to flaking. Let us know what you use and post pics!!

– Bridgette

I’ve always done this as an FEV using dye and clear (white) shellac. If you use Rit dry dye and suspend it in the shellac be sure to keep it stirred up as the salt will settle out. I actually like the little crystals left in the liquid as it gives it an “old glass” look. By playing with the dry time you can also give it streaks, swirls, and layers. I’ve found it extremely durable and acceptable for exterior use without any problems but it was in a somewhat protected area and not directly exposed to weather.

Rachael Claxton
    • Experience: 5-10 years

• Partner
      Partner Member

I’ve had great success using tinted Crystal gel on plexiglass. I’ve tinted the gel with a variety of things, but Super Sats and tints seem to work the best. Once I’ve sharpie’d on the design, I’ll usually lay in the tinted gel on the back of the piece, then go in on the front any lay in clear gel, just to give the front some physical texture. My favorite way to get lines is just to use the craft rubber adhesive-backed caming lines (you can get them from JoAnn’s or Michael’s), but without additional glue they probably wouldn’t hold up great in an outdoor setting.

Angelique Powers
    • Experience: 20+ years

Member Member

https://scenicguild.org/2017/05/how-to-create-a-stunning-realistic-stained-glass/

This was a post we just did this past week. With a great take on how to do large scaled leading lines as well.

abernathysj
    • Experience: 5-10 years

bhdreher wrote:

I really, really advocate for mixing leather dye with either clear or amber shellac. As far as I’ve found, it has the boldest colors, and is pretty resistant to flaking. Let us know what you use and post pics!!

– Bridgette

I’ve never seen this done but what a cool idea! got any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve always been fond of the crystal gel and super sat mix. I’ve also found that for certain of the darker colors you can get a nice flowing look out of a super sat and Roscoe clear coat mix. The crystal gel holds up better against scratches.

Anonymous

Crystal gel and shellac FEVs are both really nice options for bright colors that are transparent and easy to apply, but I’d be hesitant to use either of them in an outdoor setting.

Wouldn’t shellac do that thing where it gets gummy and white when you let water sit on it?

Also, I once painted a carved foam floor with a river that held water, in sprayed glazes of crystal gel with tint. It held up well during my 5-day underwater test in the shop, but once on site it started to cloud after about a week. Of course, that’s with it being utterly submerged in water, which probably your windows wouldn’t do.

Thanks to all. I ended up using flex glue and tint color. My young scenic helping me made the tint too strong so it wasn’t as translucent as I wanted. We were under the gun, so ended up using what was made. The plus side is it held up all summer with exposure to all the elements!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account