This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 12 months ago by Zaling.

• Author
     Zaling
    • Experience: 15-20 years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

We’re having trouble getting our spray booth installed. It looks like we can’t get the permit to blow a hole through the roof. We had a consultant come in and they suggested using activated charcoal filters and skipping the roof vent. I’ve seen this for small scale table top booths, but the booth we’ve picked is an open faced 20′ wide booth. Does anyone have experience with this type of set up? Is this even a viable suggestion?

EvanWRapp
    • Experience: 5-10 years

Is there no way to put a hole through a wall for the use of a filter wall?

I’ve not used the activated charcoal filters and I’m not expert either.

But I can say that if the air is being pushed through a filter and not leaving the room, it won’t be creating negative pressure. We had the issue at our old shop where air was being taken outside without make-up air and that caused headaches with doors being hard to open and a ton of air coming in through bay doors when they were open.

Zaling

Unfortunately there are no exterior walls in my shop. I hadn’t considered the pressure issue, thanks for pointing it out!

EvanWRapp

The air pressure may not be so much of an issue if the ventilation isn’t pulling a lot of air. Our old building was a retired smeltering plant so the fans they had installed were pulling up to 60k cfm which is a LOT of air.

A 20’ wide booth is pretty big. Is the contractor someone that specializes in paint booths?

Zaling

He specializes in spray booth and fire suppression installation and permitting. We’re in one of the most difficult counties in the area to get approved. We’ve been rejected four or five times now.

20′ is a huge booth, but we do a ton of spray painting and airless work. Lots of steel and difficult substrates. Most days I get a few hours to turn something around, so speed is critical.

EvanWRapp

What state are you in?

I’m in a very similar working situation. We have a very large space for our paint shop but the ventilation needs improvement. It’s nasty spraying paint when it doesn’t get out of the air.

Are you working with a lot of water or solvent based paints?

And as far as the filter system goes… I’d trust someone that specializes in that type of thing. Just be sure to give them all the important information and they should be able to design a system that works for you.

Zaling

I’m in PG county Maryland. Same deal, we have a large shop in a warehouse but no ventilation. We typically only spray waterbased products through the airless and the hvlp, but we use a ton of spray paint for painting steel and plastic. We also use a lot of oil based stains for furniture, but that’s usually applied with a brush or pad.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account