This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Jeffrey Cook.

• Author
     drevard
      • Experience: 5-10 years
      • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

Hi all!

It’s been a long time since I’ve painted a big backdrop, so my bank of knowledge is a bit dusty. I’m about to embark on a bunch of brick drops where we will be texturing most of the drop with a jaxsan/cork mixture (not my ideal, but it’s where we’ve ended up with the designers demands). Since I didn’t want to cook up starch for my small samples, I just used a thinned down flat primer (Aqualock) as my size and it’s worked fine for all my samples. Now I’m getting ready to start these drops (approx. 33’x34′) and I’m wondering if there’s some disaster I’m not foreseeing that could happen if I still use thinned paint instead of traditional starch or glue to size the big version. I figure since we are putting so much texture on it it’ll be fine, but wanted to pose the question to the hive mind.

Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey Cook
        • Experience: 20+ years

Member Member

Hi Drevard~

Just to say it, though you have probably considered this: Make sure your layer of paint is enough to fill the weave so your top texture does not soak through and stick the whole thing to the floor. Maybe you are painting with plastic underneath so that might help, and have your bridges and fans working well because paint alone as a “starch” will stick more than actual starch. It would just be nasty to have the jaxan etc with all of its weight be locked to the floor.

I have used clear sealer as a kind of starch before and it worked OK in some applications.

Good luck

Jeffrey

Jeffrey Cook
          • Experience: 20+ years

Member Member

Hi Drevard~

Just to say it, though you have probably considered this: Make sure your layer of paint is enough to fill the weave so your top texture does not soak through and stick the whole thing to the floor. Maybe you are painting with plastic underneath so that might help, and have your bridges and fans working well because paint alone as a “starch” will stick more than actual starch. It would just be nasty to have the jaxan etc with all of its weight be locked to the floor.

I have used clear sealer as a kind of starch before and it worked OK in some applications.

Good luck

Jeffrey

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2024 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account