This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 5 days ago by Lynne Porter.

• Author
     Lynne Porter
      • Experience: 20+ years
      • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

Hi—
      I am in need of some advice about sizing. I will be painting a tidal wave drop on unbleached muslin. This will fall from a drop-box, and then be pulled down and removed by actors. As sizing can affect the maleable nature of the fabric, I want to use as flexible a size as possible. I have had success with both thinned white glue and starch, but what other options might there be?
      Thanks!
      Lynne

Jeffrey Cook

Member Member

Hi Lynne~
        is there a reason it needs to be on muslin? That is actually a very heavy and lumpy material when it is all piled up. Starch will stiffen it for sure and make it kind of sharp on the edges, just take an old drop and see what it’s like when it falls. I am painting something for the same effect this season and we’re using the more standard material of Poly Silk/China Silk. There are some considerations as far as technique goes (I’m probably using Dharma dyes and screen ink) and also for sizing (large drops need to be seamed) but it will fall beautifully and can be easily pulled off stage and steamed for later use. Supersats can also be used on it if you thin them way down.

With muslin, you can try to make your starch really thin but then your paint may not sit on the surface and fabric is still heavy.

Hope you find something that works for you!

Lynne Porter

Member Member

Hi Jeffrey–

You bring up a good point, which I will discuss with our TD. I’m not certain if the muslin has already been ordered. Thanks for your thoughts.

Lynne

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2024 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account