This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 5 months ago by Anonymous.

• Author
     Anonymous

Hey everyone!

This summer I got to sample on the new tight weave muslin Rose Brand is now selling. I loved it! It’s whiter than their heavy weight regular stuff, with a really smooth finish and no little dark speckles of unbleached fiber. Glows nicely in backlight, doesn’t get fuzzy/grippy when sprayed with an HVLP, doesn’t drink up your brush strokes, really just a dream to work on.

BUT!!

We just starched our first drop made of it, for a backlit sky project.

It took literally DOUBLE the starch I had planned to use. So Scenics- be aware you’ll need to mix a lot of extra base layer!

Has anyone else tried this stuff out?

(FYI, it’s a 31′ x 64′ drop. Usually I’d plan for about 12 gallons to cover the first coat, at about 180 square feet per gallon. This took about 80 square feet per gallon to cover!)

Haven’t tried it, but how did it behave during application? Did it go all slack? Does it shrink any more or less aggressively than standard heavyweight unbleached?

Anonymous

It doesn’t do the slackening thing that FR muslin does. (which, even though I think I understand it what’s behind it, is still baffling to me every time it happens.)

The drop I worked on was about 32 x 65, and I ordered it about 6 inches bigger in both dimensions than what I wanted for finished size. It didn’t size too aggressively, and wrinkles from bridges came out just fine.

wimblytunes
    • Experience: 5-10 years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Freelance

THANK YOU for confirming the fuzzy/grippy experience of the Heavy Weight Muslin under HVLP! We thought we were crazy. Can you shed any light on what exactly is happening, or what can be done to prevent it?

I hadn’t heard about the Tight Weave, I hope it’s an answer to our concerns about more and more threads being pulled from the Heavy Weight rolls. We recently starched a test flat one, two, and three times on both sides in a grid for a dye project and somehow had bleed-thru even in the 3×3 square.

Cheers!

–Emily Rosenkrantz, Scenic Painting grad student at BU.

Anonymous

wimblytunes wrote:

THANK YOU for confirming the fuzzy/grippy experience of the Heavy Weight Muslin under HVLP! We thought we were crazy. Can you shed any light on what exactly is happening, or what can be done to prevent it?

I hadn’t heard about the Tight Weave, I hope it’s an answer to our concerns about more and more threads being pulled from the Heavy Weight rolls. We recently starched a test flat one, two, and three times on both sides in a grid for a dye project and somehow had bleed-thru even in the 3×3 square.

Cheers!

–Emily Rosenkrantz, Scenic Painting grad student at BU.

Hi Emily!

The fuzzy thing – here’s my theory on what’s happening there.

I think there’s 99% of the muslin fibers that are behaving nicely and lying flat, and another 1% of fine fibers are standing up and waving around, but they’re too soft and too small to be a bother at first.

I think when you spray those fine paint particles from the hvlp gun, they stick to, bulk up, and stiffen those unruly 1% of the fibers, transforming them from fine peach fuzz into plastic – reinforced Velcro. It’s unpleasant.

I think the new Tight Weave doesn’t have that halo of fiber frizz, which might make it a better choice for things that get touched.

Can you explain more about what happened with the starch bleed through? That was regular heavy weight?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

jkpaintgypsy
    • Experience: 20+ years
    • Scenic Status: Other

I just tried the fabric at Cobalt for the Bob Moody landscape seminar as did Bob and several others. It did not react like traditional muslin. It does take some getting used to. I was not a fan of it neither was Bob. It has a more synthetic feel to the fabric and Valerie is correct, it will need to be starched twice or plan on the first coat of paint to stay where you put your brush down. Then the water in the paint will wick out so you end up with a water ring. Definitely get a sample piece to test your process if you paint on it. It feels processed, like bleached, or not 100% cotton. Not sure I would use it again since I am a more traditional drop painter (which translates to old school).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobaltgosa
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

hi! I also had a close encounter with the Tight Weave. I’ve been wanting something with finer threads and smaller spaces for the Translucencies. (it comes 35′ wide). looked good and felt good at the conference…

Had a drop made out of it for a ballet translucency a couple of weeks ago and it almost busted my but!!

even though it says it is “natural” we are betting it has been lightly bleached or put through a bath of SOMETHING! It acts like bleached or polyester!, (very hard to seal) Animal glue size didn’t do it, soaked right in and through.

I needed to swing big brush clouds and be able to soften them, so gave the sky a HEAVY coat of swirly starch to seal it. Dry overnight. Then did the cloud swirls with a couple of values of grey tinted HEAVY starch and kept the drop blown off the floor because I was worried about floor marks. Seemed to work OK but when looking at the back I saw that when I painted the second round the wheels of my cart damaged the first coat and my values bled to the back in the wheel marks (really sad face) but luckily they were faint under backlight and there was a lot going on. (see pic with backlight showing heavy starch marks…)

I don’t feel I solved this one. UGH!

Cobaltgosa
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

thought I put the picture in, try again…

Anonymous

I’m fighting with photo uploads too right now, Rachel. Working on it, and will report back when I’ve figured out what’s happening.

Scary to hear about your wheels leaving marks through a dry starch layer! We also had our swirly starch lines very visible though our base layer of sprayed paint, but luckily they did not show at all under back light.

I’m wondering, if i were to do that same sprayed sky drop again, if sprays of starch (no broom) and sprays of paint might have gotten a better outcome for me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account