Tagged: ,

This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 7 months ago by Angelique Powers.

• Author
     abernathysj
    • Experience: 5-10 years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Hi all! I have a question about how to credit myself re: shows that I painted alone. I was hired by a company as a “scenic artist”, but painted 100% of the show myself and therefore took on all of the duties of a charge – planning, mixing & ordering colors, communicating with the designer, all that jazz. On my resume, my work is split into 2 categories, “scenic charge artist” and “scenic artist”. Would it be okay for me to list a job like this in the “scenic charge artist” category? I wasn’t “in charge” of anyone else, but I would like to take credit for having painted the entire set myself. Listing this job in the “scenic artist” category suggests, in my opinion, that I worked on a team or under a charge. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Angelique Powers
    • Experience: 20+ years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

I completely agree with your notion of what makes a Charge vs just a Scenic Artist.
    If you are one of many and just showing up to work work that makes you a Scenic Artist.
    If it’s on your shoulders to sample, mix and execute the final design then you are the Charge, regardless of if you are a team of one or 20.

I bet that if we asked for a raise of hands “How many of you usually work alone”  I don’t think we would be surprised if it was in the majority.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account