This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 11 months ago by LDavi.

• Author
     Anonymous

Here’s a place to talk about your tried and true mixes and methods.

Anonymous

What are your best drop opaquing formulas? Plain old paint? Something else? I’ve been using a Sherwin Williams lightweight, flexible elastomeric called Loxon. Weird, I know, but it covers in one step, mixes with anything, and remains really flexible for back or front opaquing.

Valerie,

Do you have it mixed to a certain color? We usually use a behr or off Broadway white with some cheap black mixed or mix it a different color depending on the needs.

I’m interested in trying something new.

Can you get Loxon by the 5 gal or just in gallons?

Anonymous

It comes in 5 gallon buckets, and the store usually stocks black and white, but they can tint it in the store. I’ve never tried to get an intense primary color- i doubt that would work well, but I’ve ordered it in grays and dull greens.

Be aware, too, that it has a bit of a satin finish that’s no good for holding washy layers on top. If you’re doing a project with front opaquing, my solution is to mist the opaqued areas with some watered out paint to give the base layer some tooth before doing any washes or glazes.

Thank you Valerie,

I’ll see if our Sherwin Williams carries it. We will probably need to backpaint this summer. Lol

Best,

Dusty

This is the recipe I use for scenic Goop. It’s a nice alternate to things like sculpt or coat. It allows you to cover things like foam in a durable layer so it’s great for when you need to make rocks that someone is going to dance on in spike heels or a giant obsidian bench that an actress is going to constantly through herself against.

This is set up to be made in a 5 gallon bucket.

1 1/4 gallon joint compound

1 1/4 gallon acrylic caulk

1 gallon latex paint- make this what ever color you would like to tint your base

1/3 to a 1/2 gallon PVA

Mix these ingredients together

add 1/2 gallon white glue

mix again

let sit about 20 min.

Keep covered when storing. It’s good for a few months if it does not dry out. Though you may need to remix it.

You will want to use latex gloves when applying this as it is rather endothermic and your hands will get very cold. Don’t get it on clothing you like as once it hardens it’s basically impossible to get back off.

You can mix in things like sand or sawdust for extra texture; but be aware that with the sawdust you need to wet it lightly first or it will draw up moister from the mix and throw it off.

I want to hear everyone’s favorite starch recipes and why its your favorite! If you use something other then starch I would love to know why and how you do it!

Angelique Powers
    • Experience: 20+ years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

taceofspades wrote:

I want to hear everyone’s favorite starch recipes and why its your favorite! If you use something other then starch I would love to know why and how you do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angelique Powers
    • Experience: 20+ years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

I mix one box of starch with just enough cold water that it stays a thick liquid and doesn’t go

Back to a solid right away. Then I dump in 1 gallon (cause that’s what fits in a paint can) of Bubbling/Boiling water and stir like crazy until the starch turns to a thick gel. Then I keep stirring and slowly add in 2-3 gallons of hot tap water. Some scenics want 2-3 gallons of boiling water- I ain’t got patience or a hot plate strong enough to boils that much water with out risk of over heating and starting a fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s my go to starch recipe:

1 box will make 3.5 gallons

• Bring 1.5 gallons water to a rolling boil *takes a while on a hot plate

• Dissolve 1 box starch into 1/2 gallon cold water

• Pour boiling water into a clean 5 gallon bucket

• Stir in dissolved starch until the mixture begins to thicken (2-3 minutes)

• Dilute with 1.5 gallons hot (not boiling) water
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account