This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 1 month ago by Angelique Powers.

• Author
     Sarathescenic
    • Experience: 10-15 years
    • Scenic Status: Part Time Freelance

Member Member

Hi all,

On Instagram I saw this Jacquard reusable paint sprayer that could be a good alternative to pre-vals. It’s called the You Can and is just an empty metal can that you put your choice of paint in then pressurized with air using a bike pump or compressor. Has anybody used this for scenic art?

It seems like it will be more versatile than a pre-val because you can use any spray can tip and it will have less waste. I’m unsure if there is a way to depressurize the can without emptying all the paint. That might be kind of annoying. Does anybody know?

The guy in the Dick Blick video I posted below isn’t wearing a particle mask when spraying and I think that is a mistake.

https://www.jacquardproducts.com/youcan

https://www.dickblick.com/products/jacquard-youcan-refillable-air-powered-spray-can/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=04515-1001&gclid=CjwKCAjwnK36BRBVEiwAsMT8WAwE4l5MBeugc53zRuP0kGOhVSA6KsEPIzV7uu8uHveYevYsqTeMtBoCLDQQAvD_BwE

Here’s a YouTube review. The reviewer is a bit long winded so feel free to skip around, but he does have a few good tips and ideas for uses and maintenance.

Thanks,

Sara

Angelique Powers
    • Experience: 20+ years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

Wow, does that thing have a learning curve!

I purchased one for a Grafitt mural a while back, and I admit I was probably too rushed to really sit down and play with the “Paint to Water to Bike Pump ratios”.  I too was hoping for either that nice soft Preval like spray – or more thick solid spray can style – but for me, it always came out a bit thick and gloopy or super drippy.

I was able to make it work as my “outline” for one of my spray patterns as it did create a cool effect,  but it was more like a fuzzy 1″ line – I ended up spraying both sides of my line and using a brush to fill it in. You-Can 1- Spray Lines

You Can 2 - brush fill

I liked that it held way more paint than a Preval, even with set up taking a bit longer, I still saved time.  And Since it’s about as “strong” as a Preval, It could work in those situations where you want a spray effect but have poor ventilation and so an HVLP style won’t work (think touch-ups)

II am definitely going with the “operator error” side of why it wasn’t as cool as I wanted it to be, but believe it could be a cool tool. I’d also love to hear if anyone has used it with success, even better if they were able to change out the tips for different spray patterns.

Angelique

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account