This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years, 4 months ago by Angelique Powers.

• Author
     nancykatzer
    • Experience: 15-20 years
    • Scenic Status: Part Time Freelance

I have been asked to paint a helmet for a friend’s baby. The helmet is probably made of polycarbonate plastic. (I did some research) I wasn’t sure what would work (or stick) to the helmet. I was thinking a need a good primer to start with that will stick to plastic. The brand “Styx” primer is what I was thinking. My question is Can I use my acrylics after it is primed and then seal it? Or do I need special paint? Any thoughts? Thank you Nancy Katzer. Minnesota.

I would turn the job down. Remember, babies chew on everything and you don’t want to be responsible for any accidents.

Angelique Powers
    • Experience: 20+ years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

I’ve done welding helmets before, but not baby helmets.  I usually used masking methods with spray paints meant for plastic, and any brush work detail was kept as thin as possible.  I would finish it off with clear sealer sprays in my desired finish.

I wanted the smoothest effect so chipping and peeling wouldn’t be an issue. They all seemed to hold up the extreme abuse of carpenters rather well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account