This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 7 months ago by Ina_bucket.

• Author
     Sarathescenic
    • Experience: 10-15 years
    • Scenic Status: Part Time Freelance

So I’ve been given the task of painting a design, preferably in glittery gold, on several circus silks. Those are the long stretchy piece of fabric that acrobats twist around their bodies and hang 30′ in the air from. [attachment=0]IMG_0378.JPG[/attachment]

Does anyone have any experience with this? I’m pretty sure I can’t use any paint. I haven’t used a whole lot of dye, but I don’t think I can get a sparkly sheen out of dye. The fabric get twisted and bunched and stretched so whatever I use needs to be flexible. Is there a gold that does this?

Rachael Claxton
    • Experience: 5-10 years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

• Partner
      Partner Member

Hey Sara,

I’ve had great success with the Jacquard Lumiere paints on similar type fabrics. I haven’t used their gold, but last year I did a lace pattern on white silk with the silver and it worked great. The fabric still flowed and moved beautifully (they were using it as a sort of sail in a dance piece). I watered down the paint (at least 5 water : 1 paint if I remember correctly) and put it through a Hudson and still was able to achieve a very pearlescent effect.

Hope that helps!

Rachael

Actors Theatre

Sarathescenic
    • Experience: 10-15 years
    • Scenic Status: Part Time Freelance

Thanks Rachael! I’ll try it out.

If you don’t mind, can you post the results of this project when you finish it? (after the show opens or what ever stipulations the client has) I would love to see what this looks like!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account