This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 2 months ago by Anonymous.

• Author
     Nixpaints
    • Experience: 20+ years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

Not sure if this is the best “room” to discuss this, so please let me know if it’s not.

We currently have a two sink, two hose cleanup sink with a particulate trap that catches all the bigger paint particles before everything fully goes down the drain. I’ve recently learned that our city is starting to enforce a “no paint down the drain” with city owned facilities. I’ve done a bit of research looking at a German owned company that has a couple of different paint cleanup systems, one being a clay trap and another with a powder you add to the waste water and then the solids can be removed from the water.

Being in Canada, it may not be really easy to transport such a system from Europe. Wondering if any other Canadian theatres have any solutions, or if our southern neighbours have any like systems.

This is a link to the system from Germany. https://www.aquaservice-gmbh.com/en/washbasins/compact-systems?start=3” class=”bbcode_url”> https://www.aquaservice-gmbh.com/en/washbasins/compact-systems?start=3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angelique Powers

Member Member

Wow!! That looks like quite a cool system (expensive too!)

I’m curious if you could get more detail from the city about what size particles they consider to be “paint” ? I could see them not wanting people to pour right out of a can- but what about the run off from a brush, or already thinned paint in the form of a watery wash? – having a proper definition might help you figure out how “strong” of a system you will need.

I have a small “plaster trap” style that works well- for all the stuff too small to not get caught by my sink screens. But I do find that I need to manually clean it about once every month or so to keep the water draining from the sink at a good rate.

Please report back what you do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been recommending the ceramic product in the US, the “CINK” which as I remember has a 5 or 10 micron filter. That will only get the larger particles but since it limits the water use, you can set up the required EPA Satellite Accumulation Area (SAA) barrel and dump both the solids and the liquid into the barrel when it is too dirty to proceed.

These various sizes of German products look better, but there is no information whatever on either the type of filter system or its efficiency. I have emailed them for this data. If I get it, I’ll get back to you. Monona Rossol

Angelique Powers

Member Member

I found this article from earlier in the year about how to DIY your own Ceramic filter.

https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/clay-tools/making-clay-tools/how-to-easy-to-make-triple-stage-clay-trap/

It’s not the best, and no clue what it will do on a micron level, but could still be useful for those on a budget and room to do it in.

Anonymous

The theatre I’m the TD/Charge at has a utility sink that empties directly into the nearby creek that runs through the nature reserve (yeah… don’t know who thought that plumbing choice made any sense). When I was told I couldn’t use the utility sink to clean my brushes, I looked for a solution.

The system we ended up using was the 2-bucket washing system described in Ellen Jones’s book A Practical Guide to Greener Theatre. Basically we have two buckets filled with water. I spin the brushes in Bucket 1, then in Bucket 2. Then they get one last rinse in the sink (at which point there’s practically no pigment coming off of the brushes.)

Once Bucket 1 gets to be more paint than water, the water is evaporated off and the solids are discarded. Bucket 2 becomes Bucket 1, and a bucket with fresh water becomes Bucket 2.

Somewhat of a hassle, but works well enough and only cost a couple bucks for the bucket.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account