This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 2 years, 7 months ago by abernathysj.

• Author

Hi All!

I have a newspaper scrim design for an upcoming production of Newsies with a significant amount of text on it and was wondering if anyone had any pointers or experience doing this before. My concerns lie primarily in avoiding any sort of bowing when trying to maintain the straight lines of the text ( I’ve seen that fun thing happen with the loose weave of the fabric where a line painted straight no longer is once the piece is taken up or hung). Whatever stiffness/ weight is added by the paint and act of sizing I assume will help to a certain extent.

Thoughts? Things that will help or hurt my outcomes?

Thanks!

paintcab
    • Experience: 15-20 years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

I did this eons ago and the type face was able to be a little off as was the design. The best thing we did was make letter stamps our of foam attached to standing height sticks. It was a hell of an up front project, but it made the painting much quicker. We drew the lines for the text on the paper under the scrim and marked in spaces. We didn’t need more exact information under the scrim. We were able to keep the scrim straight because with a push directly down on the stamp there was no movement. Good luck! You will be very proud of it when it’s done[attachment=0]Orpheus.jpg[/attachment]

Tammy
    Admin
    • Experience: 20+ years
    • Scenic Status: Other

Member Member

Wow! That is stunning!

paintcab wrote:

I did this eons ago and the type face was able to be a little off as was the design. The best thing we did was make letter stamps our of foam attached to standing height sticks. It was a hell of an up front project, but it made the painting much quicker. We drew the lines for the text on the paper under the scrim and marked in spaces. We didn’t need more exact information under the scrim. We were able to keep the scrim straight because with a push directly down on the stamp there was no movement. Good luck! You will be very proud of it when it’s doneOrpheus.jpg

That is super helpful, and gorgeous work! Thank you!!!!

EvanWRapp
    • Experience: 5-10 years

Paintcab

That is absolutely beautiful!

Agreed! Great work! It’s stunning.

Batul Rizvi
    • Experience: 10-15 years
    • Scenic Status: Other

Member Member

Paintcab, that does look amazing!

I helped with lettering on scrim a couple years ago and I do remember a lot of prep work. If I’m remembering correctly, we cut out the full scale letters and words beforehand. We used strings stretched taught to get our baselines for the letters and then placed those templates and sponged around them to get the lettering to show up on the scrim.

I think it’s all about patience and making sure your scrim is stretched as neatly as possible from the start.

abernathysj
    • Experience: 5-10 years

I am a full 2 months late replying to this, and you’ve probably already started this project, but I wrote a blog post a while back outlining the steps for squaring up a scrim! if your drop is already hemmed all the way around, this might not be too helpful, but here it is: https://scenicguild.org/2017/05/stretching-an-un-hemmed-scrim-in-7-steps/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account