This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 2 months ago by Ellen Jones.

• Author

Please help – I got a notice that an incoming student has a major latex allergy. What things can you think of that might be problems in a theater?

This seems like a great opportunity to go through and update your SDS catalog. Find out what is in all of the products that you use and then use that as a teaching moment with your students on what SDS is and how to be aware of what it is that they are working with.

Ellen Jones
    • Experience: 20+ years
    • Scenic Status: Part Time Freelance

Member Member

Hi,

Make sure you are stocked on gloves that are not latex. Also try to determine exactly what triggers the response and how it manifests. Is it redness and itching or something more significant and what is the protocol recommended if there is exposure?

I pulled this off the internet because I realized I had had students who had issues with latex gloves but not paint.

Latex paint does not contain natural latex protein but rather synthetic materials including vinyl acetate and acrylates. Since there is no natural latex protein found in latex paint, people with latex allergy are at no increased risk of an allergic reaction due to exposure to latex paint.Apr 29, 2018

Allergy and Exposure to Latex Paint – Verywell

https://www.verywellhealth.com/latex-paint-and-latex-allergy1 Make your choice if you trust the site.

Costumer should be notified if he/she is cast and I would check MSDS on any product where there might be exposure.If your school has an environmental officer or safety officer I would contact her/him for information as well.

Ellen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account