This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 4 months ago by Zaling.

• Author
     abernathysj
    • Experience: 5-10 years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Hi friends, one of my painters is trying to base out this unit with a banister that has skinny, skinny spaces. Before we wrecked a few detail brushes trying to cram paint into those crevices, I thought I’d ask if anyone had any clever ideas for us to try. Thanks![IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180614/c3e30154ca99ae54b1dd39890eb29be3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180614/70a41f160ef9ffd48f3bbd3847e3a3e3.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Lili Lennox
    Admin
    • Experience: 15-20 years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Freelance

Member Member

I assume you’ve tried fitting a skinny roller in there, so as an alternative I’d try soaking a sponge in paint, threading it through the center, sliding it around the unpainted bits, and then wiping away the excess. Or, perhaps a cheap craft sponge brush would do the trick by thwacking it around in the unpainted middle.

An HVLP would probably make quick work of it, too.

Hobby Lobby sells little tiny foam rollers in their stencil department. You can buy the handle and the roller sleeves separately. They are black. Also, they’re really great to cut and make little patterned sleeves – much cheaper than cutting up larger foam rollers.

Tessa Broyles
    • Experience: 0-5 years

Member Member

I would use one of those really cheap, foam/sponge brushes you can get from craft stores. They might rip a bit, but I’ve definitely painted smaller spaces between boards with them before, and it worked great.

abernathysj
    • Experience: 5-10 years

thanks everyone! we ended up using a preval, but I think I’ll buy some of those baby rollers for future use!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Zaling
    • Experience: 15-20 years
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account