This topic has 48 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 1 month ago by Sophie Frances Block.

• Author
     Tina Yager
    Admin
      • Experience: 15-20 years
      • Scenic Status: Full Time Freelance

Hello Scenics,

Every once in a while I like to cruise through all of the new member profiles and zoom in on our Scenic Artist map. About 2/3 of our members made a profile and it is really fun to look through them all.  I especially enjoyed seeing Melissa Nalbach’s perfect combo of profile and cover photo:

Are you up to date on your profile? Maybe you’ve moved recently, want to add a new bio credit or can’t remember if you got around to filling it out in the first place.

Tina

Michelle Nelson
        • Experience: 0-5 years
        • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Hello Scenics,

I’m Michelle from Vancouver, Canada. My days in theatre started as a scenic carpenter in Toronto working in various scene shops, until I landed a couple of seasons at the Banff Centre For The Arts, Alberta. After that, I was hired to work at Centaur Theatre in Montreal, Quebec. That was the 90’s.

The next 15 years was a career switch into teaching high school technology education and art. Although I still keep my teaching certificate active, I left teaching a few years ago and absolutely love what I do now, painting scenery.

I am currently a member of IATSE 891, working as a scenic painter for Vancouver’s film and television industry.

Heather Morris
          • Experience: 10-15 years

Hey All!

I’m Heather and I’m the Assistant Scenic Charge at the American Repertory Theater at Harvard University. Due to the current COVID-19 circumstances, I’m “working from home” doing professional development and I’m so glad I discovered this organization! I’ve been really enjoying the articles so far and am just starting to look through the forum. I hope all are well and doing their best to keep busy/stay sane in these trying times. <3

Sophie Frances Block
            • Experience: 5-10 years

Hi friends!

I’m Sophie and I’m originally from the San Francisco Bay Area. I started painting for theatre when I was 12, with my older sister, and absolutely fell in love with it. I studied scenic design and scenic art with a minor in art history at Southern Oregon University in Ashland, Oregon and graduated with my BFA in June 2019. During undergrad, I spent a summer as a paints intern at Summer Rep Theatre Festival in Santa Rosa, CA, and another summer as a teaching assistant for the Masters of Theatre Studies at SOU. This program catered to high school drama and theatre tech teachers and made me realize how much I love educational theatre and teaching this craft. Deciding to hold off on grad school for the time being, I applied for a handful of scenic art positions across the country and ended up accepting an offer from the University of Oklahoma to work full time as their staff Scenic Charge Artist. I’ve been here since May 2019 (about two weeks before I actually graduated haha) and am loving working with undergraduate students and helping to promote positive communication and a fantastic work environment.

With COVID19, I’m working from home on professional development and am loving reading through this forum and finding new techniques to use as soon as I can get back into the scenic studio.

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2024 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account