This topic has 48 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 1 month ago by Sophie Frances Block.

• Author

My name’s Maggie, and I’m currently entering my third year as Charge Artist at Lexington Children’s Theatre.

I’m originally from the Chicagoland area, where I started painting in high school and have continued ever since. Since interning at Lifeline Theatre, I’ve fallen in love with children’s theatre and my favorite pieces are usually drops and floors.

I look forward to joining this community.

ram5ey
      • Experience: 10-15 years
      • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Hi I’m Isaac. I’ve been painting scenery for almost 10 years now(mostly my own). I’m the assistant professor of scenic design at Georgia College and State University. I’m originally from Ohio, but most of my training was in the northeast when I went to UConn and got to paint with Michael Franklin-White and have a class taught by Diane Fargo (absolutely brilliant). I’ve just started to get into mural work which is pretty fun and challenging.

It’s great seeing all the experience shared on here. Glad to be a part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone!

My name is Kim Wilkins and I’m new to the scenic art world. I always knew I always knew I wanted to something with art since I was a kid, so I started taking painting classes. Eventually I went to Savannah college of Art and Design and graduated with a degree in production design(costumes concentration) in 2013. After working in costumes on films in Atlanta for a while I decided it wasn’t for me. So I packed up my stuff moved home to Cleveland, OH and started pursuing scenic painting.

I absolutely fell in love and am trying to break in even more to make painting a regular gig. I’m glad to be apart of the guild and hear everyone else’s story of how they got started and to learn new techniques.

EvanWRapp
        • Experience: 5-10 years

Greetings to all of you who have introduced yourselves! We’re glad to have you

Kim: I’m envious. I visited SCAD and it was a beautiful town

Batul Rizvi
          • Experience: 10-15 years
          • Scenic Status: Other

Hello everyone!

My name’s Batul and I am currently an MFA candidate at the University of Virginia (graduating this spring!). I have my BFA from NCSA and have painted for PCPA, Totem Pole Playhouse, Heritage Theatre Festival, and Arts Center of Coastal Carolina – to name a few. I have also dabbled in the event/corporate scenic world with a couple projects for Nickelodeon.

I have found scenic art to be a passion project throughout my career and I realized you cannot get the energy of a paint shop anywhere else. I love putting on some ripped jeans and a flannel and going to town on a floor treatment with a crew.

So amazing to hear from so many of you – I have been learning quite a few tips/tricks through this forum and I hope people keep contributing their ideas, it’s really beneficial to hear from passionate scenics!!

Zaling
            • Experience: 15-20 years

I’m Za! I’m the paint shop foreman for Design Foundry. We’re an events company just outside of Washington DC. I’ve been here as the foreman for about a year and a half. Before this, I freelanced in DC theatre as a charge artist for the last tenish years. I was also doing a lot of faux work in restaurants, which was a lot of fun. I definitely miss the detail work of theatre and faux, but I love my shop and my coworkers are awesome!

Hello, I’m Donna Wymore and I’ve worked as a professional scenic artist since …… well, let’s just say, I’ve been at it a long time! Now located in downstate NY, I have a small business where I service the ballet industry. I also teach scenic art classes and work for various scenic studios in the area.

Hi my name is Leeor Cohen, I am a textile manufacturer / converter focused on theatrical textiles. I work with Fred Krieger Fabrics and if you have not heard of us yet you really should reach out. We sell all sizes Muslin and Scrim, and many different styles and weight velours.

If you ever need any textile consulting or have any textile suggestions please feel free to reach out to me. Leeor Cohen 917-613-8633 Leeor@fredkriegerfabrics.com and visit http://www.fredkriegerfabrics.com/ to learn more about us. Thanks!

Hello. My name is Kate Webb and I’m the Charge Artist at Portland Center Stage in Portland, Oregon. I’m unique in that I didn’t go to school for this (or anything even close) nor have I worked at any other theaters. Long story, but I started here almost 10 years ago helping out the prop department..made my way over to the paint department about 5 years ago..got offered the scenic charge position 3 years ago and the rest is history. I have some very unconventional knowledge and never do things the “traditional” way since I don’t know what that is. Ha! So I find this forum handy for an inside look at how the industry does things. I also survived being a pregnant scenic charge and having a baby/maternity leave/breast pumping at work so if anyone needs any advice or moral support, let me know. Cheers!

Hello Fellow Scenic’s!

Im Tacy Flaherty and Im the Seasonal Asst. Charge Artist at The Public Theater. I have been in NYC for 7 years and have worked many freelance jobs before landing at The Public. I’m from the midwest and found my way to the big city via grad school at Boston University in the Scenic Artist Certificate Program. Im excited to be apart of this growing online group of talented humans!

paintcab

Hey, I’m Carrie

I signed right on to GoSA and proceeded to forget all my sign in info. It’s been a LONG time getting around to getting on here actively, but I finally did.

I’ve been in the business since 1998. Wait..that’s 20 years now. OY! I started doing freelance in the DC-Baltimore area. Had stints with Baltimore Opera, Signature Theatre in Arlington, VA, and UMD-College Park. I did undergrad at Ithaca and grad at U Memphis.

I’ve been at McCarter Theatre Center since 2006. I feel very lucky to have landed here. We don’t generally do a lot of ‘fun’ (ie. bright/cheery) painting here but we have an amazing team of production folks and we get quite a few Broadway designers down here. They seem to like us. Even when I”m painting another coat of greige, I try to remind myself of what a cool job being a scenic is. We are the fortunate ones who love our jobs!

Hi Friends,

I am Gary Benson and I’m a scenic.

I have been painting since the late eighties and I hope to be painting into my late eighties. My MFA is from Mankato State University (now known as Minnesota State University at Mankato). I painted at the ill fated Studio Arena Theatre in Buffalo, New York, The Idaho Shakespeare Festival in Boise, Idaho, and dozens of other theatres in between. I have been a scene design faculty member in the Department of Theatre and Dance at BYU-Idaho in Rexburg, Idaho since fall of 2000. I have been teaching scene painting since 2002. In 2014 I fulfilled a lifelong dream of studying at Cobalt Studios in their summer scene painting program.

My primary mentors have been: Rory Scanlon, Tom Bliese, Glenn Henley, Rachel Keebler and Kimb Williamson.

My primary inspiration is: The Who, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Guy and Pink Floyd.

Gilda
                • Experience: 20+ years

Partner
                Partner Member

Greetings my fellow artists!

My name is Gilda, and the Forum’s new Spokes-brush.

It is my goal to encourage deeper debates about our craft, facilitate conversations about the fun stuff we do, and encourage our more quiet members to join in!

If you have questions that you’d like the forum to discuss, but are a but to shy to ask yourself- just ask me! I can be reached here in the forum via message or through my fancy email Gilda@scenicguild.org.

While I await your Q&A’s I’m gonna go play a round of fetch with my dog Fitch!

Erin Auble

Member Member

My name is Erin Auble, and I’ve been teaching at the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, in Rochester, NY, for the last 12 plus years. My colleagues and I work with both Deaf and Hearing non-majors who want to participate in theatre, or just need a break from their majors. This means I get to find creative fun projects to teach and work in at least two languages simultaneously (when you add international students to the mix, it gets very interesting).

Robert Pedersen
                    • Experience: 5-10 years
                    • Scenic Status: Full Time Freelance

I’ve debated if I should resurrect this thread as it has been a year since the last person added… but here goes!

Hi! I’m Robert – a theme park scenic artist. Most recently I worked for Universal Orlando Resort on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – particularly Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts as an overnight maintenance scenic artist.  For a few year or so prior to that I was one of the nightly scenics for the Islands of Adventure theme park covering Port of Entry, Toon Lagoon, and Marvel Superhero Island.

Essentially at Universal the park scenics go into the theme park at night and touch things up and scouting for projects that need repair – it’s extremely high traffic and what you’re doing varies greatly day to day. The paint test to get in is a 6 hour “show of talent” and you have to match/continue 8 random treatments from the parks they’ve chosen for your test. No info on colors, just basic scenic colors, a chip brushes, a sponge and water – and go!

Prior to that I’ve worked in all kinds of backstage and onstage positions at theme parks while also getting a degree in theater design. I’m really just a big theme park nerd.

I like to think making-it-work and repairs are my bread and butter. You can browse some of my work over at my portfolio website: https://aloricg.portfoliobox.net/

I’m currently hunting for an on-going position so feel free to contact me.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2024 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account