This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 days, 18 hours ago by Lisa Lazar.

• Author
     Lisa Scott

Member Member

Hi there! I am working on a production that wants the floor to be bedazzled with glitter. I am wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on how to best achieve this. My initial thought was to base the floor in a similar color and use glitter spray paint on top, but I worry that might leave a rough texture on the floor. My next idea was to base it in a similar color with a ton of spatter and purchase some bulk glitter to mix into a high gloss sealer.

If any one has any words of wisdom or creative ideas to try out I would love to hear from you!!

Jeffrey Cook
        • Experience: 20+ years
        • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

Hi Lisa

What an interesting challenge. Would be informative to hear if anyone has done this in the past already. The two challenges I see are getting even distribution, and having a floor that can be maintained. Most theatres mop daily and any texture would snag the mop strings, collect dust, etc. I suggest, after base coating, putting down a clear coat a little area at a time and sprinkling the glitter into that area. Adding it to a clearcoat, in my experience, makes it clump, settle, or apply unevenly. If you could add microglitter on as you go it might look better. Then I think it needs a good top coat, maybe sprayed on with a pumper at first coat then brush or roll on a second coat to build up some layering onto the surface and make it more smooth.

Jeffrey Cook
          • Experience: 20+ years
          • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

Hi Lisa

What an interesting challenge. Would be informative to hear if anyone has done this in the past already. The two challenges I see are getting even distribution, and having a floor that can be maintained. Most theatres mop daily and any texture would snag the mop strings, collect dust, etc. I suggest, after base coating, putting down a clear coat a little area at a time and sprinkling the glitter into that area. Adding it to a clearcoat, in my experience, makes it clump, settle, or apply unevenly. If you could add microglitter on as you go it might look better. Then I think it needs a good top coat, maybe sprayed on with a pumper at first coat then brush or roll on a second coat to build up some layering onto the surface and make it more smooth.

Lisa Lazar

Member Member

I’ve written two lengthy replies to the glitter floor question, but for some reason they didn’t publish after I hit the submit button on the guild’s website.

Could an administrator take a look to see if it’s tangled up in a spam filter or something?

Thanks

Lisa Lazar

Berkeley Rep

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2024 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account