This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 5 months ago by LDavi.

• Author
     Angelique Powers
    • Experience: 20+ years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

Hey Friends!

As your friendly Scenic Route Editor I have been given the task to sample and report back on a whole swath of different styles of Muslin from one of our proud Guild Sponsors – Gerriets International.

I have 8 products to work with and would love your input as too what to sample and practice with, and what techniques would be most helpful for you to learn about.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180508/0ecb3d50dd3041a20587bf5a6e4a1e86.jpg[/IMG]

1- Bleached Muslin Shirting (FR) softest of the bunch, and white.

2- Muslin CS – a white synthetic fabric that is IFR- kinda stiff, and thin

3- Sheer Muslin – natural color NFR , some call it Theatrical Gauze, I’d put in in a linnen style category

4- Super Muslin NFR- natural color medium to heavy weight- what we are most use to using

5- Super Muslin FR- see above but with Fire Retardant

6- Eiffel – a very heavy weight fabric with a visible weave pattern in a natural color NFR

7- Super Canvas CS- a white FR – heavier version of normal Muslin

8- Malta-a natural NFR canvas- very heavy weight and would be appropriate for use as a ground cloth.

So if you were given a big pile of fabrics and asked to play what would you do? What would you want to learn?

Also- if you have used one of these products please don’t hesitate to contact me- I’d love to add in some reviews and helpful hints!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun! Would love to know if the FR fabrics create that salt ghosting around wet areas. Try starching and then watery painting of colors. How much do the fabrics shrink when sized? I recently worked with a very cheap bleached muslin that ripped most of the staples out when sized.

Does the “gauze/linen” fabric fray when cut? Also recently had to cut arches out of a similar fabric and try to keep a smooth line.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account