This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 months, 2 weeks ago by hlmccarthy.

• Author
     hlmccarthy
    • Experience: 15-20 years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

Hello!
    I am reaching out for any tips on material and process for painted wall coverings.
    I’ve been commissioned to faux finish a ceiling, and for a variety of reasons (namely scheduling and gravity),  I am looking to create a wall covering that I paint in my shop in boston and then ship to Houston and have a crew install on site.
    Some back ground:
    This for a high-end client getting installed in a private residence.  It is about 13.5′ x 11′ and getting attached to drywall or plaster i believe.  It will have to be packed and shipped from boston MA to houston TX. The design is a  metallic sort of faux travertine.
    Questions:
    What kind of muslin should I get for this? Duck cloth?
    I was thinking a starch/elastomeric for sizing but is there something better?
    Should I treat the back as well?
    best ways to ship it to prevent sticking and cracking?
    I was planning to use water based products because thats what im most familiar with but open to suggestions on that front as well.
    Have had good experiences with Roman heavy duty wallpaper paste and was planning to suggest that after they primed it with a Roman wallpaper primer.
    Any tips or caveats are welcome!

In the past, I’ve painted drops that get adhered to flats but no permanent high end installs and, as always, there is a tight turnaround for this one.

Thanks!
    – helen

Lili Lennox
    Admin
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Freelance

Member Member

Hi Helen,

I’ve done murals on canvas and muslin that have later been installed onsite. Canvas is heavier with a more prominent weave, and because of its weight it is less likely to stretch out of shape or wrinkle when glued to the wall. Muslin’s weave disappears under a few layers of paint and overall is much lighter weight and easier to work with and move around– but because of those characteristics is also more likely to stretch or become misshapen during the gluing process.

Have your installers done something like this before? If they have, I might go with muslin because it will be easier work on your end, and they’ll know how to approach the application of a looser fabric to the wall. If they haven’t installed something like this before, I might go with canvas because it will lay smoother and install more easily.

For my muslin murals I’ve starched the fabric just like a backdrop with laundry starch, both sides. Starching the back makes the surface less thirsty for when the adhesive is used for installation. The adhesive we used was regular wallpaper paste.

The canvas murals I’ve done have usually only required being primed to start– and we did not treat the back of that fabric.

I’ve shipped oversized canvas murals wrapped around long cardboard tubes, then wrapped in plastic. The canvas unrolled easily with no sticking.

I wish I had tips to offer on ceiling installations!

hlmccarthy
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

Thanks Lennox! this is really helpful.
    I’ll inquire about the install team- i imagine they will be specialized professionals.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account