This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 3 months ago by Former Member Content Archive.

• Author
     JuliaLee
    • Experience: 5-10 years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Hello!

I am currently in the midst of charging a 4 show festival in East Texas and we just got a new scenic element: some painted china silk banners for Richard III. I honestly cannot remember if I’ve really ever painted on China silk before (I think I’ve done a toning sprays?) These banners will have a Tudor rose emblem, which is fairly graphic. I would love any tips, advice, and cautionary tales involving painting on China silk (vs. muslin) especially since I will only have about a day to complete these. Also, 1 of the banners will be double sided.

Thank you!

Angelique Powers
    • Experience: 20+ years

Member Member

Funny enough next week’s Scenic Route Post will be about China Silk. But since you don’t want to wait a week – this was the solution – Rosco Super Sat.

I would also recommend a product called DynaFlo if you end up using a “PolySilk”.

Getting extra fabric so you can sample is going to be key- you need to learn sooner than later if the products are going to bleed.

As for the double sided one- I am going to strongly suggest that it is two pieces of fabric sewed together because with a fabric that thin there is no way to keep the paint from bleeding through and still keep it soft and flowy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

add methyl cellulose- you don’t need the food grade that’s too expensive.[attachment=0]butterfly500.gif[/attachment]

Angelique Powers
    • Experience: 20+ years

Member Member

Ziska ,

Do you have a “recipe” for that or tricks we need to know when working with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best thing is to get some and play. It comes in a dry powder- start with a quart of warm water and a teaspoon of powder – stir until it starts to set up- this will probably take about a minute. I know I’m always saying… it’s not working I need to add more.. and boom… gel. Resist the urge to add more. Once it’s dissolved you can add cold water to dilute if necessary but you risk making jello like clumps if it’s not fully dissolved. Only mix what you need for the day. A thin mixture can be saved- it will still do the job- but I like small batches as needed. Add to paint or dye. The more your paint/dye bleeds on the fabric (spandex, silk- whatever) the thicker (think Ghostbusters) the mixture. This allows a thin application of paint (pigment) with viscosity which prevents bleed. Essentially you’re using a thickening medium which virtually disappears when dry.

Anonymous

Wow, Ziska, that’s beautiful!

Do you have a link or resource for where you usually buy the methyl cellulose? I just did some quick googling and found non-food grade stuff for about $16/pound on amazon. Does that seem like the right price range to you?

‘been ages since I bought it but considering a pound should last you a lifetime that’s about right….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account