This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 1 month ago by Former Member Content Archive.

• Author
     Anonymous

Hey, kids!

Anyone with any experience using glow in the dark paint? I’ve read up on Wildfire and am gearing up to order it, just wanted to know if anyone has used it and has any feedback. That and best fluorescents for blacklight? I’ve used Rosco before but just not under blacklight circumstances so I’m not sure whether to also go with Wildfire on this one.

Have a great Friday, everyone~

Rebekah

Angelique Powers
    • Experience: 20+ years
    • Scenic Status: Full Time Regular

Member Member

Full discloser:

I have been asked by Rosco to create 2 UV projects for past USITT displays using thier Vivid FX and Flourescent paints- in return I got to keep any of the extra paints they had sent me for free.

That being said I have to say that I actually really enjoyed them and thought they worked great. I have also used Wild Fire in the past and thought they were great as well- since that brand is most well known it tends to be the one scenics use the most. So it for when I do need to do a UV effect it often comes down to availablity and price.

That being said these are the things you need to keep in mind when working with UV

1- you need to use a GOOD black light while you work so you have instant gratification about what it will look like. (And on stage)

2- decide at the beginning what is more important the Before or After.

Is having the effect more invisible and hidden (because even the invisible paints leave a sheen etc) or is it having it super bright and neony?

3- you can thin the paints a bit and even mix into regular paints- but it will lose the brightness and those samples are important.

Please come back and share with us what you learned and how your project came out!!

EvanWRapp
    • Experience: 5-10 years

Agree with everything already mentioned.

I’ve used the Wildfire paints for a large show. We had to spray it onto large aluminum and steel frames. Cleaning and priming white was a must. The paint was thick so we had to thin it to spray through HVLP but that’s where things got tricky. Thin it too much and it loses its reflectivity. Not enough and it didn’t atomize well leaving me with a globby finish.

We made the mistake of painting under shop lights at first. We did several layers because the paint was very transparent. Only after we acquired good black lights, did we realize that it wasn’t necessary to have completely opaque finishes under house lights.

Jenny Knott introduced us to the Miro Cube, black light. It is absolutely AMAZING!!! A little pricey but worth it. You can use it and then your lighting designer can use it. I highly recommend the Miro Cube. 😀

I’ve used Wildfire and enjoyed them, but I will warn that certain colors show better under blacklight than others. The white shows as a fairly bright, light blue; the blue is quite nice; and I believe I remember the orange being bright as well. Green, yellow and red were a bit more hit or miss. In our application, it was important that the paint wasn’t visible before being hit with blacklight because it was a surprise effect, and I was impressed with their relative invisibility.

Side note: I’m guessing this isn’t what you’re needing, but just to throw this tidbit out into the forum world… Florescent spray paint (the kind from Lowe’s or Home Depot) works extremely well under blacklight. Any kind that says florescent or neon. I used it for some graffiti with the students in a high-school production of Rent. We already had Wildfire paints but paint didn’t look quite “graffiti” enough so I chose spray paint that I hoped would be bright enough to show up under blacklight. It was honestly just as vibrant as the Wildfire paints.

In the picture, the red and “white” blue are Wildfire and the yellow is the Lowe’s spray paint.

EvanWRapp
    • Experience: 5-10 years

Rae: you nailed it with the “S”

I can’t wait for the day to see my son make his first

EvanWRapp wrote:

Rae: you nailed it with the “S”

I can’t wait for the day to see my son make his first

I had each of the high school painters to add their own tag, and this was from one of them. Needless to say, I was nostalgic and proud. 😆

We are going to start sampling for a floor treatment that has a uv effect on it. The idea is to create a sort of retina burn look when the lights go out. Also this show is going to have a ton of blood in it and we need to seal the crap out of the floor. I have heard that some sealers are uv resistant. We are hoping that our go-to sealer doesn’t hinder the uv effect, but I was just wondering if anyone has had this issue or has sealed over their uv paints successfully.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

©2021 Guild of Scenic Artists

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account